Tuesday, 17 January 2012
To those of you who don't know me
You will note that my blogs are usually peppered with misspellings, consonants just kind of hanging around attached to nothing, unnecessary plurals, etc. It has nothing to do with either my age or my nerdism. I am quite dyslexic and it is almost impossible for me,by myself, to edit my own writing. To do it right, I have to copy it on to paper and even there I don't catch everything. When I was a boy my parents could not understand why I found reading so difficult when I was clearly exceptionally intelligent. Public schools labeled me as a 'daydreamer'; they were clueless as was everyone else. Then, somewhere around the age of ten, I figured out how to get around my affliction and went from a Fifth Grade reading level to the 11th Grade, all in one school year. I still don't know what I do or how I do it for I can easily cruse through a novel at 3000 words a minute but I cannot edit my own writing. When I read magazines I begin at page 1 and read on, page by page ,until I come to the last one. It's the same with news papers; I don't follow each individual article. In college, when I was assigned something to read, I would zip through it three for four times in a row rather than plow slowly along. It's all very eccentric but then, like all nerds, I am an eccentric individual.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fifth grade? So about age 9, or 10? Fascinating. That seems to be almost a "magic" number for reading to "click", particularly for boys.
ReplyDelete